Malaysia Colleges, University, Private University Colleges

  Home  |  Colleges  |  Universities  |  Undergraduate  |  Postgraduate  |  Scholarships  |  Study Abroad  |  Skills Training Guide  |  Career Guide
Malaysia College and University
Malaysia Degree, Diploma, Certificate, Masters, English Course

General Rules for Foreign Students

Colleges in Malaysia - Diploma in Business, Engineering, IT, Aircraft, Nursing, Hotel Management

General rules and regulations:

• A student must abide by Malaysian law at all times.
• A student has committed a case of misconduct when:
  - He is found guilty of criminal charges by the court;
  - He is involved in any jobs, trades or the like, on part-time or full time basis, which are deemed illegal in the Immigration Ordinance 1959 and the Immigration Rules and Regulations 1963 or other laws or that which could affect his studies.
• A student is to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced by the institution.
• A student must at all times respect the culture, norms and beliefs of the locals.

Student pass
• Any international student who wishes to study in Malaysia is required to obtain a Student Pass.
• Application has to be made through the respective Educational Institution prior to entry.

Permission to work part-time
• A student is permitted to do part-time work for 20 hours per week during semester breaks or any holiday
  exceeding 7 days.
• A student is permitted to work part-time in Restaurants, Petrol Kiosks, Mini Markets and Hotels only (excluding     singer, masseur, musician, GRO and other activities deemed immoral) as long as the student pass remains valid.
• Students are not permitted to work as cashier.
• Permission to work part-time is extendable by the Immigration Department depending on the student’s attendance   and academic reports.
• Application from students studying in Private Higher Educational Institutions must be submitted by the respective   institutions to the Immigration headquarters in Putrajaya; while for students from Public Higher Educational Institutions to the nearest Immigration Office.

Drugs and poison
It is considered a serious offence if a student:
• is found to be in possession of any kind of drugs or poisons. The term ‘drug’ is as defined in the Dangerous Drug Act 1952;
• is found to provide, to supply, to distribute, to offer or to prepare any of the above drugs or poisons to other parties;
• is involved in drug abuse of any kind.

Weapons and dangerous materials
It is considered a serious offence if a student:
• is found to be in possession or in supervision of any dangerous weapons or explosive materials. ‘Weapon’ is as   defined in the Weapons Act 1971.

Traffic Rules and Regulations
A student who owns or uses any type of vehicle must:
• fulfil the requirements under the Road Transportation Act 1987 and all subsections under the Act, on campus and public roads.

Use of force
It is considered an offence if a student:
• partakes in any kind of activities that involve force, extortion, molestation, harassment or any form of disturbance   among themselves or towards others;
• involves directly in any form of ragging or bullying, or abuse or the like inside or outside of campus;
• uses force, aggression or threat to cause hurt to others;
• engages in any physical aggression such as riots or fights, or commits an assault on any parties;
• exhibits verbal and/or physical behaviour of a racist or prejudiced nature towards any other member of the community   inside or outside the campus.

• It is considered a serious offence if any groups of students or organisations of students plan, organise, attend or   take part in any assembly or meeting at any given places without permission from the relevant authorities.

Academic integrity
• A student is not allowed any form of falsification and plagiarism i.e copying or allowing people to copy, plagiarize   during exams, lab assignments, preparation of coursework or thesis and the like.
• A student is to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced in his institution.

• Students who reside in an on-campus residence are to abide by the rules of accommodation set by their respective   institutions.
• Students who reside off-campus need to take on an even greater obligation of respecting the neighbourhood standards   and watching out for neighbours.
• Students are advised not to cause trouble or emit noises in any way that are of disturbance to others.

Safety and Emergency
• Be safety conscious, especially in the first few weeks as you get used to your new environment and culture.
• Take extra care of your safety in high risk areas, especially if you need to go out late at night.
• If you are encountered with a real emergency, the first point of contact would be the International Office or your   contact at your Institution.
• Call 999 - police, ambulance, fire stations and civil defence rescue units if you are in trouble. (Warning: Under     Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, the penalty for misuse of the communication network is a fine of RM50 000, or one year's jail, or both).

For further assistance, you may call Student Affairs and Development Division, Department of Higher Education’s general line at 603-88835939 during office hours.


      Back to International Students Page



  International Students   Students Corner   Study Abroad   About StudyAdvisor    
Studying in Malaysia  
Cost of Living  
Entering Malaysia  
National Education Spotlight  
School Holidays  
Student Placement Agency  
Studying in UK  
Studying in Australia  
Study Medicine  
About us  
Advertise with us  
Press Release  
Terms of Use  
© All Rights Reserved